Travel Certificates

Travel Certificates

If you’re traveling internationally or across state lines and plan to take your pet with you, it’s important to be aware of exactly what will be required for your animal companion to make the trip. It’s also a good idea to make sure your pet is physically healthy enough for travel.

The veterinarians at Alto Tiburon Veterinary Hospital are USDA-accredited. We can assist you in getting your pet ready for your trip, including assessing whether they’re healthy enough for travel—especially the rigors of an airline flight.

Steps to take before your trip:

  • Please take the time to research what documentation you will need before your trip. (You will find the certificate and other information about what’s required for your pet to travel at the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, or APHIS page listed below.)
  • Be sure you know what the requirements are for the place you are visiting, as each individual country establishes the criteria for entry.
  • International travel for pets requires international health certificates—and some countries require proof of additional vaccinations and testing.
  • Once you know what documentation is needed, you can request that your veterinarian complete the health certificate. You, the owner, are responsible for these documents, so please be mindful of the timing of your travel. Contact us if you are waiting on a response, to ensure you have the certificates in time.
  • Once completed, completed documentation will need to be submitted for endorsement by mail or in person at your local USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services Export Service Office. There is an endorsement fee based on destination requirements.
  • The USDA suggests a minimum 10-day time frame for completing health certificates; however, many airlines require that health certificates be completed no more than 10 days prior to travel. You’ll need to contact your specific airline to find out their policy.
  • There may be some health and documentation requirements if you’re traveling with your pet from state to state.  Your first step should be checking the USDA-APHIS page for interstate travel (see below).

We are here to help and are happy to administer any necessary vaccinations and sign off on the travel. It should be noted that it is your responsibility to follow up with us and get the completed health certificate before traveling. As the owner, it is your role to send, gather, and ensure all information is correct.

If you have further questions or want to schedule an appointment for your pet prior to travel, call us at (415) 383-7700. Bon voyage!

USDA travel certificate resources: